South Africa is a beautiful country and is no surprise why it has become one of our most popular destinations. From wildlife, unforgettable train journeys, wine and a rich culture, South Africa has it all. We love the destination here at Suitcase Travel and so have come up with our top 10 reasons why South Africa should be next on your list of places to visit as well as some ideas on the types of holidays you can go on.
1) Not only can you see the Big 5 on safari but South Africa has some of the best spots for whale watching. The country has many places where you can see the whales from land – on coastal footpaths, cafes and even your hotel. Hermanus is the place to head to for the best chance to catch a sight of these stunning creatures.
2) You can also see penguins! Head to Boulders Beach to see plenty of penguins.
3) Driving around South Africa couldn’t be easier as they also drive on the left hand side of the road.
4) Nature is all around you, even when visiting big cities like Cape Town. Did you know that you can see Zebras on the slopes of Table Mountain?
5) If the budget allows, South Africa has one of the best luxury train journeys in the world that is an experience that you won’t regret – The Blue Train. All your food and drink (including a selection of excellent South African wines) is included on your journey from Cape Town to Pretoria with prices starting from £800 per person.
6) The wine! Visiting the country’s winelands is a must, the 4 main ones being Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschhoek and Wellington. Just make sure you have room in your suitcase to fit in a few bottles for home.
7) Head to Cape Agulhas where both the Indian Ocean and Atlantic Ocean meet. Where else in the world can you see this?
8) If you have an interest in battlefields, there are plenty to visit in South Africa. The battelfields in Isandlwana and Rorke’s Drift in the northern KwaZulu-Natal are most definitely worth visiting.
9) If you head east of the country, it is malaria free making it perfect for any safaris in that area, including in Kruger National Park.
10) We have saved the best for last – you don’t get any jet lag! South Africa is only 2 hours ahead of UK time meaning you can get the most out of your time there.
We have created a few examples of itineraries from our tailor-made team:
Cape Town & Winelands
7 nights from £949 per person – saving up to £1,020!
3 nights 4* Camps Bay Stone Cottages, Cape Town
3 nights 4*Plus River Manor, Stellenbosch
Includes FREE wine tasting
Cape Town & Garden Route Self-Drive
10 nights from £1,100 per person – saving up to £750!
3 nights 4* Cape Town
2 nights 4* Paarl
1 night 4* Oudtshoorn
2 nights 4* Plettenberg Bay
2 nights 3*Plus Tsitsikamma
Includes 8 day car hire.
Luxury City, Game & Beach
9 nights from £2,299 per person – saving up to £910!
3 nights 5* Amakhosi Safari Lodge, Kwazulu Natal
3 nights 5* Oyster Box Hotel, Umhlanga Rocks, Durban
3 nights 5* Twelve Apostles Hotel & Spa, Cape Town
FREE full board and game activities at Amakhosi Safari Lodge
Don’t fancy doing it alone? Check out this escorted tour
Sensational South Africa
14 days from £2,399pp
Kruger, Cape Town and the Garden Route
Including flights and VIP door-to-door travel service.
South Africa is also great for families. Doing an escorted tour designed for families is a great way to have a holiday that both you and the children will never forget but there is no stress in organising it or worrying about keeping everyone happy.
South Africa Family Safari with teenagers
12 days from £1,076 per person
Johannesburg, Hluhluwe Game Reserve, Kosi Bay, Hlane National Park, Kruger National Park, Blyde River Canyon.
11 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 10 dinners
Soweto Cycle Tour
Hluhluwe–iMfolozi Park – Game drives
Zulu Village Visit
Hlane NP – Game Drive
Kruger National Park – Game drive
Panorama Route – Bourkes Luck Potholes
* Prices are based on 2 people sharing a room.